First, my credentials (and perhaps to some, the boring stuff)
Since July 2005, I have served as the president of Airports Council International-North America (ACI-NA), which is part of a global organization of airports.
- In my travels and conversations to learn about the airport industry around the world, I have been most impressed that airport directors and staff really care about the traveling public.
- Speaking of traveling, this job has taken me to every continent, but Antarctica, in less than three years.
Why am I interested in aviation? While working in Virginia’s state government on trade and economic development, I became convinced that aviation is the lifeblood of economic activity and the airport is the heart that pumps that lifeblood.
Now the interesting stuff:
I grew up in New Jersey – near Exit 9 on the turnpike.
- While in high school in the early 70s, Bruce Springsteen played a concert in my school gym – but I skipped it because I’d never heard of him.
I have been married for 27 years to Ann; we have twin sons, Luke and Brian. They graduate from college this year. Luke from the University of Virginia and Brian from Michigan State University.
I earned a B.A. in Government from Notre Dame. During my time in South Bend,
- I was a football equipment manager and on sidelines for the Rudy game in 1975.
- I was on Notre Dame’s first varsity soccer team, where I was a goalkeeper (1977). During one seven month period, I had four broken bones and a concussion. No common sense, I guess.
- I was voted the fifth “Ugliest Man on Campus”
I earned an M.A. in International Relations from University of Chicago
- While in grad school, I skipped class one day to go to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs. I was part of crowd that saw the Cubs come back from down 21-9 to tie 22-22 and lose 23-22 in 10 innings. Don’t really care what I missed in class that day!
Areas of interest: Baseball, Notre Dame sports, reading, traveling.
- I am trying to visit every presidential grave site; every major league baseball stadium; every state and Canadian province.
The work stuff:
- I served on the legislative staffs of Senators Bennett Johnston and Joseph Biden.
- I was a staff member of Virginia Governor Gerald Baliles.
- I was Executive Director of the National Commission to Ensure a Strong Competitive Airline Industry.
- I was International Trade and Transportation specialist, Hunton & Williams.
I am on Twitter
In addition to this blog, I now tweet. My handle: Gprincipato